Anyways! coming out of that bookish discussion, let’s try something else. Let us try to introspect about other traits of your outward personality.
1. Are you a kind of person who likes discussions about science-fiction, sports strategies, futuristic trends, latest fashion- & it’s cool and clumsy quotients, or how the next sequel of that movie should or shouldn’t have been made, a complete-critique of your activities.
2. Are you a gregarious person, do you like to engage in an interesting discussion with an old or new group & “talks about what you think?”
3. Are you an active netizen– do you like to write your experiences, express your opinions on social forums, be vocal of your stand and Get verbal on your thinking.
4. Are you an intellectual egoist– who despite all ignorance to reading & knowing defends his opinions on a choice of subjectivity i.e. your opinion is yours and you stick to it? Do you try a lot harder to always at par your intellect with the others on almost anything put to discussion.
5. Are you a special case like me who likes writing, knowing good & difficult words, using good & smart phrases but doesn’t like reading other people’s stuff! Well, it is true that everybody wants his stuff to be read and be given a fair opinion or peripheral critique, if allowed!. Somebody once told me, “you can’t be a good writer unless you read what others have written”. My reply- “why? What about the first painting in the early man caves or first manuscript on ancient culture, proves a point doesn’t it?”
Here’s an interesting factoid about intellect, English and ideas–
ENGLISH– The backbone of English i.e. grammar is inconsistent with time; it changes unlike the spelling of words. The usage of English & phrases ,are defined in a society according to the trend set by the most educated people i.e. writers, opinion makers etc. there is always a class of people in the society that will earmark a word or phrase as cliché, an idiom as old & an adjective as over-used. They might rescue the old lost verbiage & put it into the modern usage and they might bag-pack few of those currently in use, to old graves.
Some wise man said- “ideas are like sperms, only few make it”. I guess its befitting to identify those few who make it and not let a modicum of useful thought & effort be wasted in harnessing the others , right?
Another school of thought says– it is a continuing and frustrating process of churning & repetition that ensures the consistency of productive & worthier output (not in terms of volume). Which means, irrespective of thinking about the desired output and working on all the output ,of which a few maybe desirable. Hence, whether any field- it’s your pursuit that matter. If you like ideas, then your days and night should be engaged in thinking, spend your time in discussing and engaging with new & fresh ideas, if you’re an artist, a painter, a humorist, so should be the case. Interaction spurs interest, which is the core of all excellence. If Sachin Tendulkar din’t have undying & unparallel interest in cricket, not even god’s all talent could have made him accomplished half of where he stands. if Da Vinci dint like the idea of the new world,there won’t have been a blueprint book, which contained basis for over 100 great inventions. Therefore,interest & ideas go back to back.
Here’s another interesting thing about vocabulary–
A table of comparison with your age & words learned per year.
Age v/s known words
By 4 yrs 500 words
7 yrs 20,000 words
10 years 35,000 words
……..20 years onwards …100 words/year
Now let me connect all the dots in a simple way. You were learning words at a faster pace when you were a little kid than as an adult today. Looking at later years, it shows that your vocab. Growth is snail paced right now. Words are said to be the symbol of ideas, every word is derived from some symbol, it even has a word-root, a story or even a belief behind it. Hence, not knowing them will create a blind spot on your mental window of ideas. So ideas and words go together like thread & needle. If you’re looking for new ideas, or you wish to engage into higher dimensions of your mind. It is important that you lose your ignorance to the world of words. Further, it is also interesting to note that your IQ scores and your vocab. scores are very similar i.e. if you score in a higher bracket in one, you will end up in the same in other.
So, your intelligence, your intellect, your mental keenness & sharpness, your refreshing attitude towards ideas and their engagement with the world, & finally your English- they are all pieces of the same boggling puzzle, like small parts of a larger machine that runs your brain, feeds you knowledge & awareness, a feeling of freshness & a presence of being in the current age. So, if you are an intellectual egoist, you would always want to feel the rush of mental euphoria, being sweetly-struck with your abstract theory which sounds so fantastic. It can be your brilliant idea that seems so plausible or your original views on a subject that are out of the book. All such things not borrowed but cooked in your own cauldron of mind ,under the fuel of passion & aired by a brainstorm of original thinking.