If you are already an expert in writing poetry. This write-up is not for your read. If your well- versed with your simile, metaphor, other figure of speeches, this is not the article to read. however, if logical demons of your mind averse you from getting into reading the stanzas, lines that outpour the mental euphoria, beautifully expressed phases of mental trance, moments of wonder that are captured on pages-> this article can give you few tips to open your mind into their acceptance. After-all, if you like reading English and don’t like poetry, there’s a major chunk of expression art you’re missing out while skipping those seemingly abstract phrases of poems.
Q: are you a music lover, do you listen to songs, appreciate the lyrics of all kind of music- hip-hop ,top charts, rap songs, trend breaking rhymes etc ? ( everything with melody, rhyme, song ,symmetry, is a poem at its core)
What happens when you try to read a poem-?
- You look at the title and you try to guess what this poem is all about.
- You see the length of the poem & the lines in each stanza with a cursory view.
- Mid-way through the poem-> you lose the trail of thought & start feeling that the abstract thought of poet is overdone.
- Finally, you pick one or two of your new-found favorite lines from that poem and you appreciate it. You pick few good words and its usage in the poem, praising the novelty of the poet.
- You get out of it, do away with formalities of appreciation & make a subconscious-mental note of never visiting that page/poem again.
Now a factoid–
Perception of Beauty – what is the most common perception of beauty, is it complexity? Is it conspicuous difficulty in creating it? Is it the aesthetic, emotional, personal value connected to it? However, lot of answers may vary from person-to-person, but to a common viewer, the most noticeable perception of beauty is symmetry. It falls equally appealing to the logical mind and the artistic mind.
This is one of the prime reasons that when we look to evaluate something, which is seemingly un-familiar or even vague, our major value points are based on its symmetry.
In context to poetry-> the consistency with lines & syllables in the stanzas, the flow and the rhyming scheme. If any of these-three is distorted, we lose our hope to further familiarize with it.
How do people get into the flow of writing poetry and evolve with it?
I always wanted to know the basic difference between a writer and a poet. I couldn’t guess until I myself started writing articles. If I had two different brains and I begin to vacillate between the flow of a writer and the flow of a poet-
Things that would remain the same–
- In both minds, I would be in a momentum of rushing thoughts, far more enhanced and over-powering to the body i.e. a psychogenic phenomenon. The control of mind over the body is so strong that it has a visible effect.
- Both minds are moody. One day they may work for 14 hrs a day and for others they may simply put you off.
- Both minds work dynamically in constructing their expressions, i.e. the idea may be static but its aspects, priority & revelation may keep on changing from one moment to another. For e.g. if I get an idea right now & I start writing an article about it or create a poem about it, something good comes out.
Now, if I keep that idea in mind and I stall its construction say till the evening. It’s revealing to note that the work that was done in the day to the night will have great difference in its structuring.
Things that are different in comparison–
- Writing an article may take the most intellectual fodder of your brain & your mind sinks into it completely but good poetry writing is a synergism of- mind, soul & heart. Therefore, it is usually written in complete silence & isolation, where in an article may-be written sipping through you cappuccino in a coffee house, A poem commands the complete support of your emotion, memory, soul, heart & mind. It is as if you’re in a state of wonder. The process is highly metaphysical & super-sophisticated in nature.
- Both minds may-be moody but if writing is done to recapitulate a larger narration or give a view point, Poetry is done to satiate your need for personal expressions & imitate the beautification of -nature ,thought or a scenery by one’s skill in indirect & direct comparison.
- Both minds work dynamically, but one works linearly and other (poetic) loves to work in varied- dimensions-> sentences are twisted, phrases are inverted, word forms are changed, everything is done to break the linearity and rules. The language and draft of a writer may-be binding but a poet loves to keep as many open ends as possible, everything is subjective, he will provide you with a view and give you different lenses and ocular devices to view it. He will love to see you notice something further.
- A writer may love to simplify a scene but a poet will always take pride in its synthesis. It’s like viewing a mountain & a river, the writer writes about his awe of this vivid scenery but a poet might sometime never mention the river & mountain as a separate entity i.e. forming a scene but comparing them to something else. He will even work in creating the un-seen relations between these two- in harmony, different weathers, with the clouds, with the trees, with the animals & all this is being worked at multi- levels in his poetic brain.
He might finally come up with an entirely different narration to explain the scenery & the poem’s title will never be about the scene but the innermost revelation in the process. On the other hand, writers tend to give a hook & sneak-peak to intimate about the content in the article. A poet is least bothered about the hook but the joy of his creation & the entire flow of read.
left over discussion in chaper 2. to be published in 24 hrs.